Audit and assurance update 2019/2020 (1.5 hrs)
An update on important changes to the audit and assurance standards in Canada (1.5 hrs).
In this online course, we will discuss significant pronouncements by the AASB (Auditing and Assurance Standards Board) and their implications for assurance practitioners.We will also provide action steps to help practitioners affected by current or soon to be effective changes to the assurance standards.These include significant changes to the Canadian Standards on Quality Control, the Canadian Auditing Standards and the Compilation Standards.
- Understanding the key changes of the Canadian Standards on Quality Management (CSQM) 1 and 2.In active project phase.
- Understanding the key changes to revised CAS 540: Auditing Accounting Estimates and Related Disclosures.Effective for audits of financial statements for periods beginning on or after December 15, 2019.
- Understanding the key changes to the revised CAS 315: Identifying and assessing risk of material misstatements. Handbook material approved in December 2019. Adoption date to be determined.
- Understanding the replacement of section 9200 (Compilations) with Canadian Standards on Related Services (CSRS) 4200.Final Handbook material approved in October 2019. Adoption date to be determined.
1.5 hrs of verifiable CPD (Certificate will be provided upon course completion)
- Program pre-requisites: There are no prerequisites for this course
- Advance preparation: None
- Delivery method: E-learning
- CPD/CPE credits: Participants will earn 1.5 professional development credits (hours)
StartCourse instructions and learning objectives
StartModule 1: New Quality Assurance Standard: CSQM 1 and 2 (11:52)
StartModule 2: Revised Canadian Auditing Standards (CAS) (4:00)
StartModule 2(a): Revised CAS 540: Estimates (8:18)
StartModule 2 (b): Revised CAS 315: Identifying and assessing risks of material misstatements (11:10)
StartModule 2(c): Self learning activity - revised CAS 315
StartModule 3: Other assurance standards: New Compilation Standard (12:01)
StartConclusion and action steps (4:51)
StartQualified assessment of learning objectives
Garth Sheriff, CPA, CA, CPA (Illinois), CIA, MAcc, is the founder of Sheriff Consulting (sheriffconsulting.com). We specialize in the design and delivery of assurance, accounting, and soft skill professional development courses. Sheriff Consulting strives to create a learning environment that is engaging, interactive, and effective.
Our courses are designed using the latest in communication research and current technical developments that affect our profession. This includes:
- Helping professionals navigate the most significant changes to the accounting and assurance standards in the last 40 years.
- Using current research to improve business communication skills such as working with diverse multigenerational teams.
- Understanding how transformative technology such as Blockchain and Artificial Intelligence will impact our profession.
Garth has worked as an assurance professional and learning provider for over 15 years.He has prepared and trained CPAs for key changes to the profession, including internal control documentation (SOX), Canadian Auditing Standards (CAS) and Canadian Standards on Review Engagements 2400 (CSRE 2400).
He earned a Master of Accounting and a Bachelor of Arts (Honours - Accounting) from the University of Waterloo, Canada. He is a member of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPAO), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
Garth has also acted in various stage and film productions. He is a graduate in improvisation from The Second City and a member of ACTRA (the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists