Introduction to Machine Learning for CPAs (1.5 hrs)
Understanding how machine learning will impact our profession (1.5hrs CPD)
Machine learning is a branch of artificial intelligence (AI) that our society is interacting with frequently and, in many cases, unknowingly.
Our awareness of machine learning is often obscured by other more dramatic branches of AI, including strong AI (robots with human intelligence), which we often see in television and film, such as HAL 900 in Stanely Kubrick's class film 2001 A Space Oddessy.
It is machine learning that is significantly impacting our personal and professional lives. From relatively harmless examples such as our streaming services recommending a new film to high stakes decisions involving our social networks, machine learning is moving to the front and center of how we make decisions.
As CPAs, we are also interacting and using machine learning applications in our professional services include assurance, tax and controllership roles. CPAs must understand what machine learning is and the increasing role it will play in the services we provide. This on-demand course will take us through an introductory knowledge of machine learning and the implications of machine learning for the profession.
- Understanding the branches of artificial intelligence
- Defining machine learning
- Identifying practical examples of machine learning
- The impact of machine learning on the CPA Profession
- Understanding the ethical implications of machine learning
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
The course will benefit professionals seeking to understand machine learning and how machine learning will affect our profession.
1.0 hr of verifiable CPD (Certificate will be provided upon course completion)
- Program pre-requisites: There are no prerequisites for this course
- Advance preparation: None
- Delivery method: E-learning
- CPD/CPE credits: Participants will earn 1.5 professional development credits (hours) including 0.5 hr of ethics
PreviewCourse instructions and learning objectives
StartUnderstanding the branches of AI (11:24)
StartDefining machine learning (7:26)
StartPractical examples of machine learning (10:11)
StartMachine learning and the CPA Profession (5:48)
StartMachine learning and ethics (11:01)
StartQualified assessment of learning objectives
Garth Sheriff, CPA, CA, CPA (Illinois), CIA, MAcc, is the founder of Sheriff Consulting (sheriffconsulting.com). We specialize in the design and delivery of assurance, accounting, and soft skill professional development courses. Sheriff Consulting strives to create a learning environment that is engaging, interactive, and effective.
Our courses are designed using the latest in communication research and current technical developments that affect our profession. This includes:
- Helping professionals navigate the most significant changes to the accounting and assurance standards in the last 40 years.
- Using current research to improve business communication skills such as working with diverse multigenerational teams.
- Understanding how transformative technology such as Blockchain and Artificial Intelligence will impact our profession.
Garth has worked as an assurance professional and learning provider for over 15 years.He has prepared and trained CPAs for key changes to the profession, including internal control documentation (SOX), Canadian Auditing Standards (CAS) and Canadian Standards on Review Engagements 2400 (CSRE 2400).
He earned a Master of Accounting and a Bachelor of Arts (Honours - Accounting) from the University of Waterloo, Canada. He is a member of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPAO), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
Garth has also acted in various stage and film productions. He is a graduate in improvisation from The Second City and a member of ACTRA (the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists