Professional Ethics: Improving psychological safety (2.0 hrs)
How improving psychological safety helps ethical decision making, creativity and productivity within teams and organizations. (2 hrs CPE/CPD)Watch Promo
- Psychological safety is a belief that you are free to share your thoughts and not be punished for speaking your mind. It is an important area of research in the field of organizational behaviour. Current research has shown that organizations and teams with higher psychological safety are more productive, creative, and happier. And teams and organizations that have higher psychological safety make better and more ethical decisions.
- However, current research also shows that psychological safety is fragile within organizations and teams. Critical events such as new leadership, organizational strategy changes, and external situations (such as a pandemic) can adversely affect an organization's psychological safety.
- In this video learning course, we will examine current research to better understand psychological safety for organizations and teams. We will then introduce ways to assess and improve psychological safety for both organizations and teams.
The learning objectives of this course include:
- Understanding what is meant by the term psychological safety
- Understanding the importance of psychological safety to decision making and ethics
- Identifying the benefits of improving psychological safety within teams and organizations
- Exploring examples of organizations with both high and low psychological safety
2.0 hrs of verifiable Ethics CPD (Certificate will be provided upon course completion)
- Program pre-requisites: There are no prerequisites for this course
- Advance preparation: None
- Delivery method: E-learning
- CPD/CPE credits: Participants will earn 2.0 professional development credits (hours)
- Verifiable Ethics course: 2.0hrs.
PreviewCourse instructions and learning objectives
StartWhat is psychological safety (12:21)
StartPsychological safety, ethics and decision making (9:33)
StartBenefits of psychological safety (11:07)
StartCase study - Cyberpunk 2077 (10:32)
StartInterview - Megan Tong (20:52)
StartPsychological safety assessment (4:22)
StartImproving psychological safety (11:16)
StartImproving psychological safety in virtual teams (6:55)
StartConclusion and SMART goals (2:52)
StartQualified assessment of learning objectives
Garth Sheriff is the founder of Sheriff Consulting, a firm specializing in the design and delivery of professional and leadership skill courses for accounting and finance professionals. Garth has worked as an assurance professional and learning provider for over 20 years. He has prepared and trained CPAs for critical changes to the profession. He earned a Master of Accounting and a Bachelor of Arts (Honours - Accounting) from the University of Waterloo. He is a member of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPAO), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA). Garth has also acted in various stage and film productions. He is a graduate in improvisation from The Second City and a member of ACTRA (the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists.