We are in a period of significant change in how we work, including working from home and the increased use of video conferencing technology for communication. The primary catalyst for this "new normal" in our working environment is COVID-19). Current research on our stress and mental health has highlighted how these stresses have affected our lives, including Lack of sleep
- Decreasing motivation
- Declining job performance
In this VOD, we examine current research to understand the impact of our "new normal" on our stress and mental health. We will then explore research-based tools that can help us de-stress for success.
The learning objectives of this course include:
- Understanding the impact of our "new normal" caused by COVID-19 on our stress levels and mental health
- Understanding the importance of checking-in and talking about stress.
- Applying mindfulness as a research-supported technique to help manage stress
- Applying SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely) tips to create structure and routine in your home office to manage stress
- Identifying other key stress management tools in discussion with a Professional Registered Counselor and CPA
2.0 hrs of verifiable CPD (Certificate will be provided upon course completion)
- Program pre-requisites: There are no prerequisites for this course
- Advance preparation: None
- Delivery method: E-learning
- CPD/CPE credits: Participants will earn 2.0 professional development credits (hours)
PreviewCourse instructions and learning objectives
PreviewIntroduction Part 1 (8:39)
StartIntroduction - Part 2 (5:36)
StartLet's talk (6:28)
StartMindfulness - Part 1 (7:35)
StartMindfulness - Part 2 (10:51)
StartWorking from home - Part 1 (9:37)
StartWorking from home - Part 2 (7:44)
StartInterview with Melanie Schroeder CPA, RPC - Part 1 (17:38)
StartInterview Part 2 and Conclusion (14:29)
StartQualified assessment of learning objectives
Garth Sheriff, CPA, CA, CPA (Illinois), CIA, MAcc, is the founder of Sheriff Consulting (sheriffconsulting.com). We specialize in the design and delivery of assurance, accounting, and soft skill professional development courses. Sheriff Consulting strives to create a learning environment that is engaging, interactive, and effective.
Our courses are designed using the latest in communication research and current technical developments that affect our profession. This includes:
- Helping professionals navigate the most significant changes to the accounting and assurance standards in the last 40 years.
- Using current research to improve business communication skills such as working with diverse multigenerational teams.
- Understanding how transformative technology such as Blockchain and Artificial Intelligence will impact our profession.
Garth has worked as an assurance professional and learning provider for over 15 years.He has prepared and trained CPAs for key changes to the profession, including internal control documentation (SOX), Canadian Auditing Standards (CAS) and Canadian Standards on Review Engagements 2400 (CSRE 2400).
He earned a Master of Accounting and a Bachelor of Arts (Honours - Accounting) from the University of Waterloo, Canada. He is a member of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPAO), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
Garth has also acted in various stage and film productions. He is a graduate in improvisation from The Second City and a member of ACTRA (the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists