Have you ever been caught off guard by a question or comment during a conversation or presentation? Have you ever looked back at your reaction and felt that you could have handled things differently? Did your emotions get the better of you?
The course will introduce you to the idea of using the concepts of improv when confronted with the unexpected during a conversation or presentation. Improv is typically associated with theatre and comedy; however the techniques used in improv, such as active listening and offering, provide an extraordinary system to help improve an individual’s ability to respond with control to unexpected situations.
- Defining improv and the concepts of improv
- Understanding how it can be used to become a more effective communicator in a business professional environment
0.3 hrs or credits of verifiable professional development (Certificate will be provided upon course completion)
- Program Level: Basic
- Program pre-requisites: There are no prerequisites for this course
- Advance preparation: None
- Delivery method: E-learning
- CPD/CPE credits: Participants will earn 0.3 CPE credits in the field of study of personal development
Garth Sheriff, CPA, CA, CPA (Illinois), CIA, MAcc, is the founder of Sheriff Consulting (sheriffconsulting.com). We specialize in the design and delivery of assurance, accounting, and soft skill professional development courses. Sheriff Consulting strives to create a learning environment that is engaging, interactive, and effective.
Our courses are designed using the latest in communication research and current technical developments that affect our profession. This includes:
- Helping professionals navigate the most significant changes to the accounting and assurance standards in the last 40 years.
- Using current research to improve business communication skills such as working with diverse multigenerational teams.
- Understanding how transformative technology such as Blockchain and Artificial Intelligence will impact our profession.
Garth has worked as an assurance professional and learning provider for over 15 years.He has prepared and trained CPAs for key changes to the profession, including internal control documentation (SOX), Canadian Auditing Standards (CAS) and Canadian Standards on Review Engagements 2400 (CSRE 2400).
He earned a Master of Accounting and a Bachelor of Arts (Honours - Accounting) from the University of Waterloo, Canada. He is a member of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPAO), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
Garth has also acted in various stage and film productions. He is a graduate in improvisation from The Second City and a member of ACTRA (the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists