Blockchain: A Transformative Technology (2hrs)
The amazing origin story of Blockchain rising from the financial crisis to the introduction of bitcoin and now saving the world. (2 CPD/CPE credits)Watch Promo
Blockchain has been described as a transformative technology that will fundamentally change our relationships with third-party intermediaries including banks, lawyers and accountants. Blockchain technology has the potential to be a significant disruptor in terms of how business transactions are initiated, authorized and recorded. It has been compared in magnitude to the introduction of the internet. But, what is Blockchain, how does it work and why should we care?
In this online course, we answer those 3 questions while also providing the cinematic and amazing origin story for this game-changing technology
- Understanding the origins of blockchain
- Learning about the practical applications of blockchain technology
- Learning SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and timely) action steps to stay informed and ready to explore opportunities provided by these transformative technologies.
2.0 hrs of verifiable CPD (Certificate will be provided upon course completion)
- Program pre-requisites: There are no prerequisites for this course
- Advance preparation: None
- Delivery method: E-learning
- CPD/CPE credits: Participants will earn 2.0 professional development credits
StartCourse instructions and learning objectives
PreviewModule 1: Introduction (11:32)
StartModule 2: Blockchain: An Origin Story (6:37)
StartModule 3: When, who and why (16:31)
StartModule 4: Let's talk about bitcoin (8:09)
StartModule 5: Do you know how the internet works? (5:35)
StartModule 6: The How? (16:14)
StartModule 7: Blockchain Challenges (4:23)
StartModule 8: Cryptocurrency (2:40)
StartModule 9: So What? How will Blockchain Affect our Profession (14:20)
StartModule 10: Conclusion and SMART goals (4:19)
Garth Sheriff, CPA, CA, CPA (Illinois), CIA, MAcc, is the founder of Sheriff Consulting (sheriffconsulting.com). We specialize in the design and delivery of assurance, accounting, and soft skill professional development courses. Sheriff Consulting strives to create a learning environment that is engaging, interactive, and effective.
Our courses are designed using the latest in communication research and current technical developments that affect our profession. This includes:
- Helping professionals navigate the most significant changes to the accounting and assurance standards in the last 40 years.
- Using current research to improve business communication skills such as working with diverse multigenerational teams.
- Understanding how transformative technology such as Blockchain and Artificial Intelligence will impact our profession.
Garth has worked as an assurance professional and learning provider for over 15 years.He has prepared and trained CPAs for key changes to the profession, including internal control documentation (SOX), Canadian Auditing Standards (CAS) and Canadian Standards on Review Engagements 2400 (CSRE 2400).
He earned a Master of Accounting and a Bachelor of Arts (Honours - Accounting) from the University of Waterloo, Canada. He is a member of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPAO), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
Garth has also acted in various stage and film productions. He is a graduate in improvisation from The Second City and a member of ACTRA (the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists